Monday, May 11, 2009

Creativity, Cabaret, and Country

JUPITER CONJUNCT NEPTUNE
Jupiter is within a degree of Neptune in Aquarius. This combination is going to lend a great deal of optimism and idealism, especially with regard to creative endeavors. This is a wonderful time to bring out those original ideas that you may have, explore them, and see where they go. You never know what they might lead to. Perhaps your idea is the new fad.

Fortunately, this weekend, I had the pleasure of not only participating in a creative event, but I got to see two wonderful creative endeavors. The first, a cabaret, was a fabulous romp through musical theatre songs. I had a great time and got to perform two of my favorite songs: Muddy Water (Big River) and I Can Do That (A Chorus Line). Being the critical alpha personality that I am, there are a few moments of nitpickiness but hey, perfection, I am not. For any and all that got to see the show, I hope that you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Last night, in a similar world, I attended a one-woman cabaret at The Duplex, an old stomping ground of mine. It was nice to be back there, and the show introduced me to many new songs. There were some beautiful pieces and I found myself wanting to write down lyrics. One of my favorite lyrics offered was (and I'm paraphrasing from memory): This beautiful mess we call life is a guess, so why try to obsess? Who knows? The power behind not knowing was a part of the theme of the cabaret. It's better to move on and work towards living than to concentrate on the destination and lose the moments along the way. My friend conveyed the message with love and great sincerity. I was thrilled to see her perform.

Yesterday afternoon, my mother and I celebrated Mother's Day with a trip to Broadway's production of 9 to 5. If you have the opportunity to see it, I recommend it. Allison Janney, Megan Hilty, and Stephanie J. Block have the challenge of are fabulous and Marc Kudisch is likably hatable as Franklin Hart. For those who are devoted to the movie, the musical keeps many of the most memorable lines and moments of the film, transporting them onto the stage. There are enough changes in the musical to make it fresh so that you're not expecting every line. This is one of the best translations of a film to stage that I have seen and I have a new appreciation for the lyrics of Dolly Parton.

I hope everyone's weekend was a fabulous one. Now it's back to working 9-5. Ugh, what a way to make a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment